Sunday, January 11, 2009

Why I'm hoping I can keep my klutziness in check...

Ah! Yet again I am late posting, sorry sorry sorry! Perhaps that should have been one of my resolutions, but it really will be better from here on out. Anywho, it has been quite the week, mom and I flew out to Boston on Tuesday where we were met with a wonderful meal by D. And then on Wednesday......... I started work! Wednesday was a set up day for the Thursday/Friday preview days where people can come and look at the pieces before the auction on Saturday. My first task of the day was unpacking the ceramics which was just a tad terrifying once I realized that each of these teeny tiny figurines was worth somewhere over $500, not to mention the huge vases. Anywho after successfully keeping my klutziness in check (knock on wood) I then had to hang about 50 paintings. I hadn't really thought before about how fast the whole process is in these places, hundreds of items have to be transported in from storage, labeled, set up, and then a day or two later taken down and put back into storage so that the same space can be used for an auction. This all happens in about 5 days or less, and then the process begins again. There are about 20 other people who do the same job as me, a mixture of current undergrads, art history grad students who want experience in the field, recent grads doing the same thing as me working one job for the money, and this for the experience and then a couple of older ladies who just like the art. Kitzie a 75+ New England woman who's just sort of great showed me the ropes. Anyways the job is great in all that i get to see and handle, and the company's really small so I literally got to meet everyone in the department on my first day which is fantastic, it is a little frustrating that it is part-time, I really need to find another job to pay the bills (ugh, real world) and its also frustrating that I'm basically a glorified handyman and as of now I'm not really sure where this will lead in terms of potential to move up. It is a good opportunity and just a JOB period so I should be grateful I know and stop whining! I complain when I don't have a job, and i complain when i do... There should be some good stories that come out of this job though, the people that come in to buy these things are pretty ridiculous/great/something....

MORE STORIES TO COME

also, another hugh jackman tony gem...(with an appearance from sarah jessica parker)

1 comment:

D said...

legs up to his neck that wolf man. someone give me a MOP AND A BUCKET!
also SJP is lame as all hell. come on. be a performer.