Monday, December 22, 2008

a very long story about the world being small. and some last minute gift suggestion.

So last night while writing my personal statement to go with my extensive profile on the boarding school teacher headhunter site that will hopefully be connecting me to an english position, i stopped for a moment and considered whether i really wanted to teach over-priviledged kids.
Its a debate ive had with myself a number of times. on the one hand, i was one of the over priveledged at choate and really, besides probably thinking my hair looked good the way i insisted on wearing it, there was nothing wrong with me.
i learned for great teachers, i carried their wisdom with me into college, i would not be where i am today without them. i deserved a good education as much or as little as the next teenager.
on the other hand, when you see the student- teacher ratio in developing countries its staggering. its motivating. so i spent a few hours reading about how much id have to pay/kill myself to get my TEFL certifcation on the weekends in Boston and then went poking around places that are pretty much the antithesis of a new england prep school: ophanages in senegal and makeshift schools in the refugee camps in darfur.. things like that.
well i happened upon a school called "Empire Des Enfants" in Senegal that was for "kids in difficulty". i think. since the site was in french. so i googled it to try to find some info. What i found was actually a page dedicated to a rolling stones cover with chris martin from coldplay:

the moment i saw the cover i noticed his bracelets because i have a thing with an arm full of bracelets as you all well know. it turns out the proceeds from their sale go to Empire Des Enfants through an organization called "made with love"
did some searching and found the organizations site. its a non profit dedicated to raising funds for NGO's aiding women and children in need through the production and sale of fair trade indigenous products made in Africa, Brazil and Haiti.
A lot of the stuff is interesting or cute, which is all one expects from these kinds of crafts, but some of them go beyond that by quite a bit.
These are the african bracelets featured on Chris Martin's arm, theyre made from recycled rubber by women in Djenné, Mali.

they also come in different color variations
and long colorful necklaces
and a particularly cool charm necklace on a leather cord
ANYWAY i fell in love with both the concept (not original but executed very well and with some serious partners to legitimize it) and with the products.
In the spirit of barely makeing rent, id planned for my christmas presents to be limited to an emailed mp3 or two, a phone call, a meal cooked by me when you see me and some of my homemade peppermint patties made sunday.
on the other hand... my mother really likes lime green and isnt very gracious when it comes to half baked peppermint patties and homemade meals. i also really wanted to get a few each for friends and since a set of twenty is 20 bucks, thats some value.
SO i set about ordering two sets. but the site wasnt working so i called the number expecting an automated system or voice mail and this woman picks up and says HEY. like i know her or shes expecting me. and im like hey? and i say my name and say that i want to buy some bracelets... and shes like oh. sorry, were closed. and then she cuts off and says, wait a second. are you Lee's daughter?
and i'm like, why... yes i am. and APPARENTLY she used to work for my mom in her store thirty years ago! WHOA!
Here's her bio, shes done some fantastic things with dance and fashion and costumes and namely, charity work in brazil. shes the force behind Made with Love.
so we reminsced about how my mothers a task master but scary good at what she does and she asked about my dad and she talked to me about her travels in Brazil and her experience with schools in Rio and talking to chris martin on the phone and eventually she took my order by hand and gave me such a discount that i ordered another set because i can only think of a hundred people who would like them... and anyway i just thought it was so crazy and wanted to tell you and if youre looking for something cool and a decent way to spend your money, this is an idea. :)
love to you all.
D

1 comment:

A said...

that is an amazing story, love it when things line up like that!