Tuesday, December 23, 2008

In my culture we show love through a big Stick

I had quite a long journey today.  It took 11 hours to get from hanover to my little home in queens.  And when I finally arrived it was so very nice.  I forgot what it is like to come home to a place with people, animals, all this random food to pick on and the place seems lived in.  And my mom took out a bunch of the Christmas decorations so it was a particularly nice homecoming. 

After I showed my parents a few things, gave my mom her birthday gift and we all spoke for a little bit my father said with a smile from ear to ear "I got you something.  It is over there on that box near the shoes, the stick."  I originally thought it was something next to the stick, but no no no.  It was a stick.  My father brought me an arm length stick from our guava tree from florida.  He picked the stick, cleaned it up, and brought it on the plane with him from florida as one of my holiday presents.  He was going to put a ribbon around it but forgot.  My loving father brought me a stick to beat the crazy people hiding in the forest of hanover.  And then I told him about the actual crazy man, and he said see this stick will be good, better than that stick you took from the woodshop.  Then he told me all about why that stick was so good and why he picked it over the others.

In most families receiving a stick three days before Christmas doesn't mean much, but I will take a stick over any other present any day of the week.  

Happy Holidays! hope you Christmas is full of love and a big stick

5 comments:

Craig said...

that's oddly heartwarming. i want a stick now. but i guess that means then i'd have to have a creepy guy in my backyard. on second thought, i'll pass.

D said...

I LOVE THAT! bring the stick when you come visit. i want you to walk the streets of boston with the stick.

A said...

such a good christmas moment

L said...

oh! that's such a sweet christmas moment, i love it.

D said...

really guys? sweet christmas moment? you do realize her father fully expects her to beat people with that stick he gifted her...and we all know J's not fuckin around. im pretty sure were gonna read about this in the police blotter:
female alum beats town man with finely whittled stick made of unidentified tropical wood, citing suspicious stance on sidewalk as grounds for battery.