Friday, December 12, 2008

It hit me like a wall

The realization that, crap, I'm going to need to get myself a job at some point to fill the months and months ahead of me.

Let's assume that I am to begin classes next fall for a grad program (cross your fingers and getting a bit ahead since I haven't even submitted an application yet), which means that I will have purpose/direction/meaning, but that's still a long time away.

And even if I somehow manage to get one of the summer museum internships (i'm only applying to paid ones, however meager they are, i am clinging to the hope that a degree in hand makes me more favorable of a candidate than those pesky enrolled students) that I'm currently in the process of applying for, those wouldn't start till June.

It's December now. There's a long time between now and then. And the thought of spending the next 6 months the same way I've spent the last 3 months terrifies me. My mind will go numb from a combination of CNN, MSNBC and HGTV. I can already feel it.

I've also given up hope for one of the three Apple stores I applied to to call me, so I had to embark on a new job search. And where did I go? Craigslist. Turns out there's a small accounting company (which is literally less than a mile away from my house and actually runs out of a converted home itself) that's looking to hire a part-time temporary office assistant to answer phones and deal with the loads of paper they are soon to be receiving. I am planning to send my resume tomorrow.

And the other job I applied to today? Shelver. At the local library. Part-time. I'd spend my 16 hours a week shelving books back onto . . . the shelves. It sounds glorious to me. God help me if I don't get a call back for that job.

In other news that's not so gloomy, I thought I'd share the most recent round of books that I checked out from the library. Don't worry, I most likely won't read them all.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers
- Because I wanted to see what all the fuss is about over this guy

The Winter of Our Discontent, John Steinbeck
- I have no idea what it's about, but he's my hands down favorite author. And I was looking for a seasonal appropriate book and since Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris was checked out, I saw "winter" in the title and made it the seasonal book

Who Moved My Cheese?, Spencer Johnson
- Again, I wanted to see what all the fuss is about.

Death in Venice, Thomas Mann
- It's my friend's favorite book and when we were in Venice, he made me eat strawberries and take a vaporetto over to Lido just so we could stand on the beach. I want to know why.

The Grand Tour, Jim Moore
- It's about the "european adventure of a continental drifter." I wanted to give another travel writer besides Bill Bryson a chance and also, I love everything associated with the idea of a Grand Tour.

2 comments:

D said...

please report back on all books and jobs. interested in both.
and if you dont get the shelving job i say burn down the library.

L said...

oooh nice list, i haven't read any of them, but since i am embracing this new time to "read for fun" (imagine!) i am always looking for recommendations! the sedaris book (or the parts i've read of it) is fantastic

especially this one:
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/bs16/Christmas/6_to_8_black_men.txt

definitely a part of my childhood overseas haha