Thursday, November 20, 2008

Three things.

1) I have absolutely had it with the phrase "team of rivals." I can't take it anymore. Using one of the many GRE words I'm learning, at this point, it's just hackneyed (def: trite and commonplace from frequent usage). I'm going to go postal on my news broadcasters. Watch it CNN and MSNBC, I'm gunning for you. Literally.

2) The executives from the Big Three automakers were in Washington this week seeking a bailout for their industry. Actually, it'd be a "bridge loan" but that's besides the point. Regardless of what you think of whether they should get the money or not, the big news item of yesterday that the media jumped on was that all the executives flew private jets from Detroit to Washington. Some guy on Good Morning America broke the story and then during the congressional testimony they were asked point blank about it and blah blah blah. Cry afoul for the symbolism and waste of money when the companies are in the tanker. Okay, I get that, I get what you're doing and your point. But just stop. You're drawing attention away from talking/informing about the direct issue at hand, the reasons and consequences of the auto industry failing and whether they deserve money or not. This whole private jet thing is just a distraction, a useless distraction that is wasting time.

3) Thank god I decided to sign up for the GRE today. Last time I checked, several weeks ago, it seemed that there were dates and times every day of the week at multiple times, so I figured I was golden. Not so. I checked today and the closest testing center doesn't have openings till Jan 2 (a problem since my first deadline is Dec 18). Problem. Thankfully, the testing center in Chicago had an opening on Dec 2. At 9am. That'll be quite the annoying commute in the morning, but at least I'll be able to get it done. I had a momentary freak out before I saw the Dec 2 date.

1 comment:

L said...

Craig, whatever happened to your quitting your addiction to CNN/MSNBC/news shows and replacing it with NPR? Exciting to hear that you've set a date for the GRE though---good luck!

ps. for vocab learning, read the New Yorker, i'm up to the end of May and its so so great!