Sunday, November 16, 2008

Back in the Bay

As the latest addition to this wonderful blog - I've been told to give a brief overview of my job/life to the loyal readers. I was planning on writing my first post last week, but, as usual, I got completely distracted. Alex and I are going to Japan in April (!!!!) and of course with only 5 months to go I've been spending every free hour I have trying to plan the trip. I think I end up enjoying the planning more than the trip sometimes. Anyhow, last weekend I was obsessively debating between four different ryokans in Kyoto and all of a sudden it was midnight and I had some work left to do and no time to post. But today I am determined not to be distracted!

So a little update on my life - I am back in my favorite place in the world (aka the San Francisco bay area) where it is currently about 75 degrees. It's amazing! I've been working for about 4 months now as an associate marketing manager (I'm just going to call the company C because I don't want the PR people who monitor blogs for product reviews to pick up this blog). It's kind of weird, I never imagined that I'd spend 50 hours a week thinking about cleaning products, but all in all I think I really lucked out. My job is interesting, the hours are decent, the people at work are great, I've made good friends with a couple of the other AMMs that started with me, and I get to go to farmers markets every weekend! It's definitely not perfect though- a lot of my friends are still finishing up school, I'm still living at home, and I'm dealing with a steep learning curve at work. Plus there is so much I need to teach the other new people at work about. For instance, while we were driving up to my house in Napa for the weekend I pointed out that we were driving through Vallejo, the home of E-40. One of the girls thought it was a type of gas! (he's pretty much the best bay area rapper since Tupac...I mean really....).

I see that you often post pictures and videos so I thought I would attach a picture of my new work friends Daniel and Alice (we all went to play croquet for a work connectivity event, not so great for my hand eye coordination). Sadly we work on different floors so I rarely see them at work, but Daniel and I have lunch every Thursday and he's addicted to pools so on warm weekends he brings friends over to swim. I've met at least 10 of his middle school friends, which makes me happy because then I can show my parents that I'm not totally weird for having so many middle school friends. Anyhow, hopefully I'll have more interesting things to add next week. Hope everyone is doing well!!

3 comments:

D said...

S! so glad to have you on the blog! croquet is GREAT im a big fan, especially when it gets vicious and you get to ram your ball into your opponents and send it into the woods. im pretty good at that part.
glad to hear youre having fun, though the steep learning curve is definitely intimidating, im not looking forward to being in a semi perpetual state of being totally overwhelmed at work but thats part of it and i guess when you stop feeling like youre learning about the industry then its time to get out?
anyway, glad to have you posting about kyoto and cleaning products and bay area rappers.
its all about diversity of topics around here on 9-5?:).

J said...

Welcome! I am so excited to have you posting. I wonder is my job does random wiki searches and comes across my crazy ass posting, I bet my coworkers all know about my crush. Damn it that's why he doesn't love me!
And I would love to hear what you think are the coolest new rap/hiphop songs out there. I just saw the video for go girl (put a ring on it) by beyonce and was shocked.

L said...

yay! s! so glad you're posting on the blog--and yes LOVE the croquet...although after reading d's comment i don't think i will ever now play it with her. but so glad that work is going well, and the work people look fun (although it seems they could definitely use some 80s flair...does "c" do 80s night?)
:)