Monday, November 17, 2008

one woman fire drills and big ass gold balls / getting hazed in the workplace

well, folks, its happened, ive officially survived my first day at my first nine to five aka, 8:30-6, aka grown up job, aka, i have my own cubicle, aka, gross.
BUT
but.
something pretty beautiful also happened.
if my estimations are correct and if today was any indication of reality, i have stumbled upon the most unlikely and hilarious dysfunctional family of a team to ever hit the PR world.
allow me to give you the line up (theres only five of us in the boston office)
BREEZEMAN- aka, the straight LOOKING but extremely gay man who is one of the heads of the team and who is constantly two steps behind the convo because hes always on his blackberry and then will jump in with a completely inappropriate comment slash loves to aggrivate the shit out of my boss but saying repeatedly, "oh, it was a total breeze for me," or "i just breezed right in. just breeeeezed right in" when shes been struggling with something or trying to go somewhere. bone dry sense of humor. two second attention span.
GREEKLADY- the very greek woman (young, beautiful, tiny) who learned her english in london and so speaks with so many accents and practically purrs her words so that i cant understand what the fuck shes saying most of the time and im not sure she knows either. think of the decorator in father of the bride, and put that voice out of selma hayeks mouth. ALmost impossible to take her seriously except that shes extremely successful.
SWEETCHEEKS- 25, aparently married, wears too much makeup and is way too put together to make any sense to me, but SO sweet, set up my whole cubicle with the forty wires and the scary buttons and answered 299 of my 300 questions.
but most of all....
BOSSLADY- the funiest person ive met in at least a decade. she is a ball of energy and wears jeans to work. and to giv eyou an example of her sense of humor: today walking away from the lunch we went out to get in my honor at legal seafood (she practically force fed me a tuna burger, it was great, but really, she was very insistent) ( and im pretty sure normally we work and eat lunch in "the cube" this was nothing normal) she scared the shit out of me by insisting i had to perform the fire drill on my own from the 14th floor, down the stairs in under two minutes. thats 14 flights. and, while i was at it, i had to find a way to get one of teh massive gold balls from the prudential center xmas decorations to her office. because she wanted one. and she didnt care if it was illegal, just run faster. and then all of a sudden as im looking at the human-sized balls across the stress she goes, DAMN GIRL ITS CALLED HAZING! JUST JOKING.
later in the day she popped out of her cube and said that her mom had gotten her tickets for tina turner and in her exhuberance decided to give sweetcheeks a lap dance while singing her impressively accurate rendition of tiny dancer. yeah. thats my boss.
but all insanity aside, shes so pumped abotu what shes doing she almost got me to be as excited. which is impressive since its something i know nothing about and never thought to look into: green technology.
she gave me somebody to work for. they all did.
and as they said, its a special, special little office.
i might be really turned off by the aesthetic environment and most of the work ill be doing but today, most MOST unexpectedly after training, I laughed to the point that i questioned if i should excuse myself to the bathroom.
and thats pretty much all i could ask from a first day.
love to you all.
D

2 comments:

J said...

I say you steal one of those life-size ornaments and leave it in her desk. I think she would respect you forever.

L said...

YES, i agree with j! DO IT

and wooo! so happy that the job environment sounds so great!