Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I really think I live my life by Ugly Betty and the Devil Wears Prada

So I am sure you all know my obsession with the Devil Wears Prada and Ugly Betty, but if you don't know, basically I am obsessed by them and feel as if my life is a direct reference to UB and many a life lesson can be learned from watching the DWP.  And today I finally put one of those life lessons to use.

I complain a lot about my job.  I am always working, always getting random crap from some of the older people here since I am about 10 years younger than the youngest person working  here and well sometimes I think people just like to hear themselves talk, but I have noticed my drive for this job has been going down.  I get annoyed at how they seem to not realize I am a part-time worker and I always feel like I am playing catch up. So at 7:45 when I should be up making breakfast I sometimes just hit the snooze button and play the five more minutes game.  Five more minutes turns to 25 and sometimes more and then I run up the hill with wet hair and curse at the cold and the cars.  I get to my desk at 8:40 and do ten minutes of work in 2 and miss a blitz or call or totally zone out.  

I know most of my annoyance with the position is that time working for here means less time for my personal work, but being annoyed with work really isn't a helpful thing.  It makes me care less because I am annoyed then when things go in the crapper I have less drive to find a plunger.  But last night as I realized how much I had accomplished without turning into a wolf or hermit I realized I am lucky.  I am lucky to be able to do what I do everyday and even if it is at 6pm instead of 5pm I get to make really cool things.  I think this realization came from really helping a girl in the J-shop understand why she needs to be working on what she cares about and not on direct assignments.  It's studio art, so totally allowed. She kept talking about how after this year here ability to make will practically be gone and she will be working and probably never get to do exactly what she wants.  And my job is annoying, but is really fun and I guess I had taken it for granted.  I spend half my hours working on photoshop, imovie or cutting paper.  Yes they can be tedious, but are so educational particularly with my desires in life.  So I lived the moment in the Devil Wears Prada when Niles tells Andy that she needs to realize how lucky she is and flicks her forehead and says "wake up size 4!" ok not a size 4, but my life isn't on the big screen, yet.  I woke up this morning, ok I snoozed it for 50 minutes b/c well I set my alarm WAY earlier than normal so I would wake up at a decent hour.  I made myself breakfast, got to work a little early and made a kickass video! Those imovie skills I got in High School paid off.  I even got the crazy lady here to say good job.  Everyone was super impressed.  It felt great.  It was like people finally said my name right.  AND I have finished 23 crayons.  Yes I have 1 to do, but I didn't want to waste paper so I am holding off until I have something else to etch; the silver box. But I am getting work done, things I love and life isn't bad. And I got a free sandwich for dinner from the crazy woman who normally doesn't like me, but who is slowly realizing I am not an utter tool who occasionally makes jewelry.  
I just need to work hard, complain less and realize that I am a lucky girl.  And after Jan 13th I am going to be even luckier as I travel to Boston every weekend to visit L & D.  Things happen for a reason and we can bitch and complain, and we need to, but I think it is easy to remember the crappy times and not the happy times and today was surely a happy day at work.  It was great. 
And news on a strange front I am speaking on Thursday at a geography panel on "Life After Dartmouth"  Yes me, life after Dartmouth. I e-mailed my old geog prof to talk about grad school.  We set up that meeting then I got an e-mail about five minutes later asking if I could participate in this panel.  He said there were a lot of people who dropped out last minute and my life after Dartmouth only consists of 10 month, but it might be really good to hear my story.  I am totally a last minute fill in, I am aware.  But it might be a lot of fun. I think this will be the closest I get to being a guest lecturer for a while, but nonetheless fun.  If he doesn't write me a recommendation after I tell all his majors to go out there and be somebody then he will never write one. 
AND me and my work lover spoke again today.  We even joked around, and he talked about me when he got back to the studio.  Ok yes I delusional about our relationship, yes he is probably married without my knowledge, yes he is probably crazy when he leaves the office, but I don't care.  We talk, I am happy and as he walks away I mouth "Why don't we just get married"  One day I will get caught, hell I might have been caught without knowing already, but I think it is healthy to have a crush.  And now I am going to get back to work.  

lots of love and hope you are all doing well. And if you aren't watching Betty this season you are crazy,  it is AMAZING, L back me up. It is so great, except for all the socks and heels Betty is sporting.

Below is my video, ok it isn't the coolest thing in the world, but I am happy with it. This thing I am showing is actually boring, but some people are moved.



2 comments:

L said...

YES betty IS amazing this season! AND in the episode 2 weeks ago had several bway references! (no kristin chenoweth on yet this season, but keeping my fingers crossed)

and i definitely support the life lessons through betty.

and i like the video j! and the new work mantra! i think i will try to incorporate it myself, i could definitely use some more positivity in my life!

Craig said...

Lindsay overstayed her welcome on the show for me. But otherwise, yes, it's been great.

The video looks great! But I still haven't a clue on what the two people at the table are supposed to be doing, though very intrigued.