Friday, October 10, 2008

depth perception is SO overrated

Hello all! (and by that i think i mean j and craig)

I am writing my post from our nations capital, i'm visiting 'g' and then heading up the east coast for some more visiting/hopefully job interviewing. g and i have been monument/musuem hopping but now she has started this whole "job" thing that people speak of so i am on my own for cultural explorations. A little recap of my day yesterday:

I went to the Corcoran Museum first thing in the morning after leaving g at the office saw an AMAZING richard avedon exhibit (he was the first photographer on staff at the new yorker), amazing both because of the pieces and because it was basically empty besides me and a few of the over 50 set. Then i made my way across town to the air and space museum which was SWARMING with children on some school trip all running around with matching tshirts UGH. so i took refuge in an imax movie, unfortunately i didn't look too closely at the titles when selecting, instead opting for the next available show, which ended up being "3D Sun", which i realized as the handed me the 3D glasses at the entrance.....as some of you know i am not gifted with depth perception....at all. seriously. nothing. so while i enjoyed becoming more knowledgeable on our solar system's center, i feel the big appeal of the movie was perhaps lost on me. whenever people would gasp/duck at the satellite coming their way i would then realize that it was in fact, coming in my general direction....i finished my museum day at the national archives, to pay my respects to the constitution, one of my all-time favorite documents (i also got a postcard of it in the gift shop). i will say however that my love of it does NOT extend to needing a photo with it on both sides, again because of school groups (ugh children, so hefty and sticky) it took me forever to get in to the 'rotunda' to view it (an hour and a half!) and THEN the couple in front of me, wearing matching "DC" shirts, him with a large camera, her with a fanny pack. insisted on taking pictures on either side of it, first of her then of him. SERIOUSLY? who's going to want to see that photo?

anywho, sorry for the complaining. i am now "job searching" for the morning, before going back out to the museums this afternoon. i couldn't think of an appropriate musical to detail my travels, but i DID find this ABSOLUTELY ridiculous/AWFUL number, from the (probably appropriately so) underrated film "grease 2"...it reminded me of end-of-year bowling
enjoy!
(and don't miss the young michelle pfieffer in a role perhaps she doesn't acknowledge any more....)

1 comment:

L said...

does it strike any one else as a precursor to HSM?