Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Life from Hanover

Hi ladies 

So I am in Hanover.  I arrived with my parents on saturday at 9:30 in the morning. For those of you who aren't from the NY region that means we left NY at 4 in the morning. Yes on the lovely saturday I was dragged out of bed at 4 am to begin my journey back to the big H-town.  And after 4 days here I am ok with living in Hanover, except there are tons of little children running around today with their parents since it is that all famous Move In day.  Thankfully I stayed far far away from the panicking people in the shelter of the Hop.

I officially began work yesterday at 11:30. I entered into the jewelry studio as happy as a girl can be.  and within 3 hours I had helped make 25 rings for overly enthusiastic freshmen, gotten a second job offer (more on that later) and spilled white liquidly paste all over my new shirt and pants.  So basically it looking like a large child spat up all over me, but i drenched myself in water to wash it off and decided that looking like I had peed myself was better than staining my new purchases from H&M.  2 hours after that, i stilled looked like I peed myself, but made more rings and sent a happy crew of freshmen speaking the glories of the J-Shop and all seemed right with the world, except I had a beg decision to make.

Ok on that new job, so for those of you who don't know I am living in H-Town as the Artist in Residence at the Jewelry Studio.  Basically I have to make work, and help needy students. What I have done for 4 years except I get paid more, and get to use the studio whenever I want, and am the one blamed when someone burns down the place or cuts their finger off. The reason I am here is so I can exploit the college for all its resources and hopefully gain acceptance to Stanford's Product Design Program, to yet again exploit the resources of that institution. But in order to get in a need all new work, but in order to make new work I need money/ need to have money to feed and shelter myself until I reach the glorious rays of Cali.  So working at the Studio was my in, except after expenses and eating sparingly I would have very little money if any at all to make work. I contemplated a Pimping business, but with Daisy working a different street I decided the Hop was the best place for me to turn for employment. 

So I got offered the Student Marketing Coordinator position in the Hop.  It was Mike A'micos job last year.  It seems like a fantastic opportunity, but it stressful (probably) is meant to be 30 hours a week and starts yesterday.  As in when I sat in the office yesterday being told what the position was like.  I left that meeting with a lot on my mind and a bit of homework.  So i sat overnight pondering the documents i was given to analyze and thinking about the SPEECH I would have to give in 3 days, (now 2 days) about how great the Hop is to all the freshman.  Yes remember Hop night when we all got ugly free Hop shirts, well if you were a '12 you would be listening to me, or whoever would be the new Mike A'mico speak.  Well I went in today to the meeting after analyzing the crazy amount handed to me and decided that Martha would do it and so should I, with major exceptions. Its a 23 hour work week and I get an Intern, I have far fewer projects than Mike had and get more of a say as to what projects will be worked on and maybe I might just get health Insurance.  (also something of major importance since my fathers employer stopped caring about my health after I graduated) 
So yes its a lot of work, yes I am starting something very different and probably very bureaucratic, but I will be able to eat (and even go to Umplbys without sacrificing the rent), make beautiful work and have something to take with me into my next job if Stanford decided to pass on me for the year. 

So yeah that Speech, well I expressed my concerns to the Hop men in charge of Hop Night, and they all laughed and told me that I didn't have to do it, but it would be super helpful if I did. But if I decide to not do it I can still have the job.  So that was good, but I decided Martha would do it, as would Oprah.  And since i like to consider myself the love child of Martha and Oprah who is a designer, I to should do it.  And when i figure out how to photoshop that lovechild image together I will be sure to pass it on. 

Alright ladies I am hungry as hell, and now that I can afford to eat more than peanut butter sandwiches let me allow myself to cook dinner. I may post a little more later but for now signing off and sending my love from H-Town.

2 comments:

L said...

yay j!
wooooo!
and yes martha would. and make homemade scones for the entire freshman class. something to think about.

but so excited for you!!

D said...

i thought momentarily about finding one of those programs where you can overlay faces so i could post what the love child of martha and oprah would look like... but then i realized on one really needs to see that before they go to sleep tonight.
but whoevers love youre born of, im so proud of you j- these jobs are amazing, the year will be amazing for you. get ready for visitors.